Here we can see, “How Can Hyper-V Virtual Machine Performance Be Monitored?”
- Monitor the CPU, memory, disc read/write requests, and network traffic on the Hyper-V server.
- Check the number of virtual machines present, whether they are powered on or off, and their severity as Critical or Warning.
- Each guest VM installed in the ESX host’s storage, memory, and network utilization should be monitored.
- View each Virtual Machine’s CPU usage/distribution in a graph with color-coded alerts.
- Monitor critical resource performance on Hyper-V host/guest instances with OpManager for extensive Hyper-V monitoring.
- With OpManager, you can also keep track of inventory and resources allocated across multiple Hyper-V hosts/guests.
- Additionally, dedicated Hyper-V management tools with capabilities such as Hyper-V dashboards, Hyper-V specific reports, Hyper-V inventory, and more can help you manage your Hyper-V.
Why should you keep an eye on Microsoft Hyper-V?
- Hyper-V infrastructures support Business-critical servers and applications. The failure or slowness of these servers and applications hurts the business.
- The performance of all VMs hosted on one Hyper-V server is affected by the failure or slowness of one Hyper-V server. As a result, failure or slowness has a significant impact.
- Several factors influence the performance of Hyper-V. Processors, memory, storage LUNs, storage adapters, network interfaces, and hardware must be kept track of.
- It’s critical to triage a problem and determine the root cause: is the issue caused by the hypervisor, storage, virtual network, or VMs?
How Can Hyper-V Virtual Machine Performance Be Monitored?
The Virtualization Manager must first be downloaded and installed on the computer.
Virtualization Manager Installation
- First and foremost, go ahead and download the tool from the link mentioned above. You’ll have the Orion Installer file on your computer after that. Run the installer if you’re ready.
- You’ll be asked to select the type of installation you want as soon as the Orion Installer starts up. You can choose between the Lightweight Installation option, which requires you to use your SQL Server, and the Standard Installation, which requires you to use the tool for evaluation purposes. Additionally, you can change the tool’s destination by using the Browse button. Next should be selected.
- Virtualization Manager should be selected by default on the Select Products page. Make sure it’s correct, then press the Next button.
- Now the Orion Installer will run some system checks, so be patient while it completes.
- Following that, you’ll be asked to agree to the license agreement. Accept it and then move on to the next step.
- At this point, the Orion Installer will begin downloading the Virtualization Manager’s required files and installing them alongside the SolarWinds Orion Platform on your system.
- When the installation is complete, click the Finish button.
- The SolarWinds Configuration Wizard should appear after the Orion Installer. If you chose Standard Installation earlier, you’d need to enter your database information here.
- Follow the Configuration Wizard’s instructions, provide the necessary database credentials, and wait for it to complete.
- Click the Finish button when the configuration wizard is finished.
Virtualization Manager: Add Hyper-V Virtual Machine
- First and foremost, ensure that the Orion web console is open. Use the address provided above to access the web console if it doesn’t open automatically.
- When you first log in to the web console, you’ll be prompted to create a password for the admin account. Please create a password, then click the Save and Login button to save it.
- After logging in to the web console, select All Settings from the Settings drop-down menu.
- On the All Settings page, select the option to Add VMware, Hyper-V, or Nutanix entities.
- Next, select Hyper-V Host from the drop-down menu and click the Next button.
- Provide the IP address of the virtual machine on the Polling and Creds tab, followed by the required credentials of the account that will be used to collect the data. You’ll need to check that the account you’re giving out has Remote Enable and Account Enable permissions. Then, on the next screen, click Next.
- After that, you’ll be shown the types of metrics that the Virtualization Manager will keep track of.
- Finally, to add the virtual machine to VMAN, click the Finish button.
Begin keeping track of your Hyper-V virtual machines.
Go to My Dashboards > Virtualization > Hyper-V and look at the virtual machine summary to keep track of your Hyper-V virtual machines.
I hope you found this helpful guide. If you have any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to use the form below.
How do you keep track of the performance of your Hyper-V VMs?
The Hyper-V Hypervisor Logical Processor percent Total Run Time counter can be used to track the performance of physical processors in the host. Use Hyper-V Hypervisor Virtual Processor percent Guest Run Time for VMs, which allows you to keep track of virtual CPUs for each VM in use (or as a total).
How do I evaluate my virtual machine’s performance?
- Install the virtualization software you’d like to try.
- Please create a new virtual machine (VM) and install the guest operating system inside it.
- To collect performance data, use Netperf, Iometer, or Passmark in the VM’s guest OS.
- Steps 1-3 should be repeated for each virtualization platform you want to test.
What are Hyper-V monitoring tools, and how do you use them?
SolarWinds® Virtualization Manager (VMAN), a Hyper-V monitoring tool, includes a customized dashboard with alerts for critical VM performance issues like memory ballooning, datastore latency, phantom snapshot files, and high CPU utilization.
Does Hyper-V have an impact on performance?
Yes, there is a consequence. Even when running just the host OS with Hyper-V loaded, there is a small overhead because the hypervisor sits between the hardware and the OS.
On Hyper-V 1, which tool should you use?
SolarWinds Virtualization Manager is the best Hyper-V resource monitor currently available, according to this list. This program is not only sophisticated but also easy to use and comprehensive. It assists you in resolving issues and optimizing performance without requiring you to be an expert in virtualization.